NHS England developed the Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) 2018/2019 with the aim of identifying and fast tracking specific innovations into the NHS. The scheme intends to improve the uptake of new technology that could benefit both patients and the NHS by ‘creating the conditions and cultural change necessary for proven innovations to be adopted faster and more systematically through the NHS’. Promising developments are sometimes not adopted because of a lack of evidence to support their use, however, £1.5 million is being used to fund real world evaluation of the products.
The innovations are:
- DrDoctor – system that allows patients to reschedule their own appointments rather than miss them
- HeartFlow – Advanced image analysis software that creates a 3D model of the coronary arteries and analyses the impact that blockages have on blood flow to rapidly diagnose patients with suspected coronary artery disease.
- Plus Sutures – A new type of surgical suture that reduces the rate of surgery-linked infection (surgical site infection) such as MRSA, through the use of antimicrobial suture packs.
- Endocuff Vision – A new type of ‘bowel scope’ that improves colorectal examination for patients undergoing bowel cancer tests.
- SecurAcath – A device to secure catheters that reduces the infection risk for patients with a peripherally inserted central catheter.