The New Medtech Early Technical Assessment Tool
– Your essential guide –
MAP awarded ‘Facilitator’ status for latest NICE Medtech tool
“We’re thrilled with our facilitator status! We believe that the META Tool, combined with our MAP Online service, are incredibly strong tools to help companies understand the market access landscape.” Says MAP CEO, Christian Hill.
He continues…”They will help you analyse the evidence you have generated and identify gaps. You’ll be guided towards developing a truly robust market access strategy before approaching healthcare providers.”
So how does META work?
The META tool is an online service. It helps medical technology organisations optimise their development plans for their specific technology. It provides a structured framework to help identify potential gaps in product development plans and next steps to help bring a product to market.
By using the META tool, companies develop an understanding of the level of evidence needed to show a product’s value to the NHS and identify any data gaps that may delay your product reaching the market.
Is META for me?
META is designed to support ALL developers of medical devices, diagnostics and digital health interventions (DHI) or apps.
- It can be used at any stage of development, from early stage thoughts regarding your value proposition and potential development plans through to sense checking whether you have all the evidence you need to demonstrate the value of your product to NICE or another HTA body/payer
- META can be used by small companies, large companies, or an individual developer
- You can go through the META process as many times as you need, either with the same or different products.
What are the benefits of using the META tool?
Working through the META tool will help you:
- UNDERSTAND the evidence that payers, commissioners and investors need in order to understand the value your technology offers to patients and healthcare systems
- INCREASE your understanding of the implications of any gaps in your current evidence base or the evidence you are planning to collect
- PRIORITISE investment in your product’s development strategy
- DEVELOP value claims that will stand scrutiny during health technology assessment (HTA), for example, at NICE
- PROVIDE educational resources to support your understanding of evidence requirements
- DISCOVER local, regional or national support that is available to help you generate the necessary evidence to support your product’s claims.
Additionally, if you have already engaged with NICE, going through the META Tool process can help you understand the evidence required for a successful NICE evaluation.
What are the steps?
META has 3 key steps:
- STEP 1: Completion of an online form (synopsis)
The synopsis is a structured questionnaire that allows you to present information and data relevant to the development of your product. It also provides educational resources and links to other sources that may be of relevance
- STEP 2: Meeting with a trained MAP facilitator
Following a review of the information provided in your synopsis, the facilitator will meet with you to provide an opportunity to discuss any gaps identified in your product development plans
- STEP 3: Receipt of a META report
This concise report will summarise the key issues identified by the facilitator during the meeting and the potential next steps that you should consider
The process is entirely flexible, and usually takes about 4 weeks.
Make MAP your META facilitator
Choosing the right facilitator will be crucial for organisations embarking on the META process. MAP has already helped over 75 companies to evaluate and approach the UK market. This has included NICE technology assessments, MedTech Innovation Briefings (MIB), tariff negotiations with NHS Improvement and commercial negotiations with NHS England as well as other national authorities in the rest of the UK, Europe, Canada, Japan…plus a growing number of other countries.
Now, let us support you.
Contact MAP at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01480 832360.